The National Farmers Union is a direct-membership organization made up of Canadian farm families who share common goals. NFU members work together to achieve agricultural policies that ensure dignity and security of income for farm families while enhancing the land for future generations, working nationally and internationally for farmers and social justice. The National Farmers Union is unique among farm organizations in working for people’s interests against corporate control of our food system.
The Communications Specialist is an 8-week, full-time (35 hours/week) contract made possible by Canada Summer Jobs. Training and mentorship will be part of the learning opportunities of this position.
The Role & Responsibilities
The Communications Specialist’s responsibilities include the following:
- Development of a membership campaign to invite and encourage new monthly donors through targeted social media, emails and relationship building. The development of this campaign will be done in conjunction with the NFU-Ontario office. The National office Communications Specialist will take the lead on sourcing all materials outside of Ontario including photos, quotes, videos and approvals for use.
- Sourcing photos from members’ Instagram; securing approval for use; filing; promoting; scheduling; sourcing quotes; providing follow-up and gratitude appropriately
- Compiling existing promotional materials; soliciting existing materials from members; using as appropriate and filing for future use
- Increasing NFU members, readers, and social media connections through this marketing and the communications tasks below
Communications Working with policy articles written by NFU staff, develop social media content, blog posts and other shorter pieces to promote the concepts and the NFU. Create campaigns around these two pieces, adding visuals and graphics to enhance viewer engagement
- The NFU’s Vision for the Food System Post-COVID
- The NFU’s Road Map for a Climate-Resilient Recovery
Convention Develop the marketing for the NFU’s National Convention occurring this fall; create a brief marketing plan that maximizes attendance and meaningful engagement. Promote the Convention and the workshops provided. Load and maintain the website pages, MailChimp, and social media.
Functionality Improve the functionality of the NFU’s social media
Newsletters Assist with compiling content into visually-interesting, reader-friendly newsletters.
Contacts Compile list of media contacts covering climate. Create a system to manage media contacts .
Other duties as assigned
Reporting: The Communications Specialist reports to the NFU Executive Director.
This is a full-time, contract position (35 hours per week), at a rate of $16 per hour for 8 weeks. Work on evenings may be required. The Communications Specialist will work from home with mentorship and meetings with the ED via Zoom as often as is needed, but a minimum of twice a week.
The Ideal Candidate
Eligibility for Canada Summer Jobs requires that you are a student, age 15 to 30, legally eligible to work in Canada (which requires a Social Insurance Number).
The NFU is looking for a highly organized, responsible person with a passion for people, storytelling and movement-building. Direct experience of Canadian farming is a strong asset. The Communications Specialist is eager to take initiative in their tasks, but willing to check in and take feedback. The candidate will have a high degree of professionalism. They will be highly capable with social media, and digital platforms and will be eager to learn any skills they do not already have. They will have strong written and communication skills. They will be willing to make calls and work independently with guidance. The candidate will manage multiple projects and take ownership for results. They must be committed to the NFU’s goals.
The Communications Specialist will have:
- A background in marketing or communications either through schooling, experience or both
- An understanding of agriculture and social justice in Canada
- Knowledge of Agroecology and Food Sovereignty
- Ability to work collaboratively while taking responsibility for their work
- Proficiency in online communications including Mailchimp and WordPress
- Strong social media skills including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Attention to detail, accuracy, conscientiousness
- Knowledge of and interest in community development, food security, and food systems
- Proactive, positive, industrious, and socially conscientious
- Commitment to diversity, inclusivity and respect
- Communications – Excellent written and spoken English
- Proficiency in French highly valued
To apply: Send resume with cover letter to email@example.com by 5 pm EDT, Wed. July 22, 2020.
For the original post, please see: https://www.nfu.ca/canada-summer-job-communications-specialist-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0X5VeX4AgdZRb0_kQt2t7aISnryB904VQPeIZOTDFM-8t5qe4wxm615Dw
The NFU is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applicants of diverse race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, religion, ability, sexual orientation, and gender expression.
The NFU will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please include them with your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.