Roots Down is a certified organic vegetable farm 10 minutes north of gananoque. We are looking for a reliable and hardworking farm labourer for the 2021 season. Physical strength and endurance are required as is the ability to lift and carry heavy bins. Experience in agriculture or work in a related field is a strong asset.
Monday to Friday, 8 to 10 hour days starting at 7:00 AM and ending between 3 and 5PM. Lunch is an unpaid half hour in length. Breaks are offered but not scheduled. This is a full time seasonal position beginning in April and ending in November. Depending on weather work can extend into December with reduced hours.
- Reliable, punctual and hardworking
- Working 40+ hours a week
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Bending, kneeling, and standing for long periods
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs
- Ability to work independently and with minimal direction
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- One or more growing seasons of vegetable farming experience a strong asset.
- G or G2 driver’s licence
- Must own reliable vehicle, transportation to the farm is not provided. On occasion, carpooling can be arranged from Gananoque or Kingston.
- Seeding plants in the greenhouse
- Transplanting crops into the field
- Hand weeding and pruning
- Use of hand tools such as shovels, hoes, pruning shears, knives, and ladders.
- Setting up trellises, irrigation line and row or ground cover
- Hand harvesting mixed vegetables
- Ensure quality control during harvest and sorting
- Washing, sorting, packing and storing vegetables
- Any other tasks required to support the farm including cutting grass, washing bins and packshed/greenhouse maintenance
$14.50-16.00 per hour depending on experience.